Tuesday, June 29, 2010

book review: lullaby


Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk


I started this book back in December. I took it out from the TCTC library, and I didn't finish it before school was out for Christmas break, so I had to return it without finishing it. I checked it out again this week and picked up where I thought I had left off. Forgive me if my summary is a little off since it's been several months since I read the beginning =P

Carl Streator, the main character/narrator, accidentally killed his wife and daughter by reading them a lullaby. It's actually not a lullaby at all, but a culling song. A culling song is meant to stop people from suffering and take them out of this world peacefully. Somehow this culling song ended up in a books of songs and poems from around the world, and he read it to his wife and daughter, and they died. So he meets Helen, who killed her son and husband the same way, and they set off to destroy all the copies of the book. Helen uses the culling song to kill rich people so that she can get gem stones from them. Carl never uses it to his benefit, that I can recall, but he uses it accidentally too often, every time someone upsets him. Anyway, they make a large dent in the population of that particular book, but their friends Mona and Oyster end up sabotaging them in the end.

I enjoyed it. Obviously it wasn't a can't-put-it-down book if I was able to let it go for six months. But I would recommend it. I haven't read any of Chuck Palahniuk's other books, so I can't really compare it to them. And I'm not really sure that I would read any of his other books after reading that one. I don't know. It just wasn't really my taste, but it was still a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment