Thursday, February 12, 2015

you're gonna grin and bear it, your new-found popularity

A No 'Poo Update

Day 6: I made it through the day. I don't think it really looked bad, but I was super self-conscious about it. I washed it when I got home from work and felt a whole lot better.

Day 7: I wanted to quit so bad. It's Friday. It's the weekend. I just wanted to take a nice relaxing shower and wash my hair with shampoo. I wasn't even supposed to wash my hair again until tomorrow morning, so instead of letting myself cheat with shampoo, I let myself cheat by washing my hair (with baking soda and vinegar) on what was supposed to be an off day. Once again, I let it dry naturally, and it was dried out and frizzy later.

Day 8: Didn't wash. I think I finally got the water:vinegar ratio right because it didn't feel at all greasy. Still very weird, but not weird/greasy. (I know; I'm super descriptive!)

Day 9: I could have made it to 48 hours but I had to leave to go to Wicked, so it was about 42 hours. It was just about at the point of needing to be washed, but not quite. I blow dried it. It was still a lot flatter than I'm used to, but again, not a problem for me. I think for the first time since I started the no 'poo, it looked shiny and...normal? (aside from the flatness)

Day 10: It probably would have been fine until the next morning, but I caved and washed it after a little more than 24 hours. I just can't get past this weird texture, and the only time it doesn't feel weird is the first few hours after I wash it.

Day 11: I washed it again. It looks weird. Not greasy, but not the way I'm used to it looking. It reminds me very much of straw in both looks and texture. Dry, but kind of soft. Shiny but not greasy. I was warned that this might happen. I was warned that it could take days or even weeks to complete the transition and be normal. At day 11, it doesn't seem to be any closer to normal, and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. While I'm all about a chemical-free lifestyle, the bigger appeal to me was having to wash my hair less frequently. I already mentioned how it's super thick. It takes forever to dry. That's a big part of the reason I got it cut so short, but that didn't even help that much. If I'm having to wash my hair just as much only now I'm super self-conscious between washes, is it worth it?

Day 12: I washed.....with shampoo.

A lot of people suggested wearing your hair pulled back for the first couple of weeks while you go through the transition. This way if your hair does get greasy, or if it doesn't look quite the way you're used to, no one will really notice. My hair is still very much in recovery from the pixie cut that I got in October. I've got a ways to go before I can even think about pulling my hair back. Maybe in six months I'll give it another go. Maybe I won't.

Josh wasn't on board to begin with, but after a few days he realized it wasn't so bad. When I got out of the shower, I told him what I'd done. At first he pretended to be disappointed with me, but then he said, "I'm kind of glad because your hair felt pretty disgusting this morning." I had washed it the night before at around 7, and it already felt disgusting by 6 the next morning. It wasn't just me. It really was disgusting. Nobody wants that.

No comments:

Post a Comment