Tuesday, August 5, 2014

and i don't want the world to see me cause i don't think that they'd understand

Recently, I've been re-reading through the Harry Potter series. I have only read the books once before, and I read (most of) them as they came out, so I've never read them straight through. And it's been many years since I've read any of them. Today I finished Prisoner of Azkaban.

*Warning - Spoilers Ahead* (Normally I wouldn't do that, but at this point, I figure everyone who has any interest in Harry Potter has already seen the movies and/or read the books. If you haven't, what are you waiting for?!)

It's been an interesting experience so far. I feel like the Sorcerer's Stone movie stays pretty true to the book, so I don't really feel like I got too much out of it since I've seen the movie 453894385 times. It was a good read, of course, but it wasn't super exciting. Now Chamber of Secrets is one of my least favorite of the HP movies, so I haven't seen it a lot. The book is so so much better, in my opinion. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the characters really start to develop. I have to admit, I find myself taking on a very Snape-like attitude towards Harry. The more I read, the less I like him. I don't know if it's because I'm older now or if it's because now I know all that Snape knows and has gone through, or what, but Harry's sense of entitlement is pretty astounding. He grew up knowing nothing of his background, and within just a few months of learning everything, it's very obvious that he sees himself as The Boy Who Lived (if not The Chosen One).

Prisoner of Azkaban is hands down my favorite of the movies. So far in this read-through, it is my favorite book, but I don't think I can accurately assess it until I'm finished with all of them. It was kind of frustrating (but at the same time fun) to know that the "Grim" was Sirius and to know that Sirius actually wasn't a bad guy. All along, Harry was freaking out about it, and I'm all, "It's cool, Harry. Sirius is a really good guy! I can't wait for you to meet him!" haha. Despite knowing exactly how it would all go down, I was completely on the edge of my seat during the whole scene inside the Shrieking Shack. So so great.

To be honest, I'm not super excited to start Goblet of Fire. Partly because the books are so long from here on out and partly because this is where it starts to get dark. It also gets more intense and more interesting, so I will definitely enjoy it. But I typically only read at lunch. It took me a little less than a month to get through the first three books; I feel like it's going to take several months to get through the rest. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment